Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Not quite what we were hoping for...cd12 update

We were back in the RE's office first thing this morning for another u/s and b/w. I was hoping that my follies were continuing with their slow, but steady progress, but there really wasn't any growth since Monday. :(

Current stats:
Biggest follicle: 8.5
Lining: 5.7
Estradiol: unchanged

My RE just called with my b/w results and unfortunately it hasn't changed. So we're going to increase my dose from 75 to 100 units for the next 2 days and then I'll go back in on Friday for more b/w and u/s. If there's no change by Friday, then we'll have to cancel this cycle. Then next cycle, we'd start at 100 units.

I'm definitely disappointed. I know they want to be very careful not to overstimulate my ovaries. My RE said that because I have so many follicles that are tiny, if we use too much medication, there's a strong chance that they all will grow big and we'll have to cancel the cycle for overstimulation. So there's this fine line that we have to walk between preventing overstimulation and understimulation. She said that "we'll get you there," but it's just going to take some serious patience.

I do have to give some kudos to the MA "R" and to my Dr. W. They've offered to give me some extra vials of medication that were donated by women who didn't need them any more. It's so helpful to have caring people donate these meds and then for the office to pass them on. I don't have any insurance coverage for IF and these every other day appointments are adding up very quickly. So it's a huge relief to know that I won't have to pay for all my expensive meds on my own.

Also, a special thanks to you-know-who-you-are for helping us manage some of these costs. Todd and I feel so lucky to have such caring family & friends.

Thanks for checking in. We really need some positive growing vibes in the next couple of days. I hope that increasing the dose of meds will help these tiny follicles come out of hibernation and grow!

Love,
Julie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the disappointing news! Hopefully the extra dosage will be just what those follies need to grow!! Positive vibes being sent!

Erin said...

Hi Julie,
I've been going on on CD12 and CD14 the past two cycles. They were both Clomid cycles with my RE. Prior to those, I had been with an ob/gyn, and I was going in more frequently with injectables. They had no clue what type of dosages I needed. They started me out on a combination of Clomid and Bravelle, which gave me OHSS. I tend to overreact to the drugs, so I need low dosages. I think it's typical for people with PCOS to be slow growers though. I think you should try another injectable cycle if this one doesn't work. You would have to use injectables for IVF anyways, so it's better to get the dose right while you try IUI's. I think they can find the right cocktail for you to get those suckers to grow! I know it sucks to wait, but like my mother-in-law said, "Patience is a virtue because so few people have it." Ha! I'm one of the ones that doesn't! :)

Erin

ErinGraham said...

Julie and Todd,

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Jim and I have gotten caught up with your posts. We are thinking of you and sending lots of positive energy your way. The energy in B'ham is pretty good so hopefully it'll help!

Erin G.