Monday, January 21, 2008

Early Ultrasound! (after a bit of a scare...)

Hi there,

Well I unexpectedly had my first pregnancy ultrasound yesterday! I had woken up early, ready to go to work, but had a fair amount of bright red bleeding. It really scared me. I know that some women have bleeding during their pregnancies, but it is really hard to stay rational when you see that. I called in sick to work and anxiously awaited for my clinic to open up. I finally was able to get a hold of my clinic, and got an appt for 10am. Todd's skiing in Denver this weekend, so one of my dear friends drove me to the clinic. By 10, the bleeding has mostly stopped...I was just spotting a bit.

Fortunately, the ultrasound looked great. We could see the gestational sac, the yolk sac, and this tiny, tiny little gray blob that is our baby. I turned 6 weeks today, so it was a bit tinier than they prefer to be able to measure and count the heart beat...But we could definitely see this little flicker of gray that was the heart! Phew! And it was just one, not two! It's too bad Todd wasn't able to be there for this u/s, but it won't be long until he gets to see one.

What a relief that was to see! They did see a small pool of blood in the bottom part of my uterus, so they expect me to have a bit more bleeding..but everything should be fine. I'm supposed to stay off my feet for a few days, just to be cautious. (How unfair that Todd's out of town and unable to wait on me?!--just kidding--I know it's killing him not to be here now!) My lovely mom came over last night to help out and keep me some company. I love my mom!

We'll be going in for another u/s on Friday to get a better look at the heart, after the little guy has some time to get a tad bigger.

Thanks for your positive thoughts. Turns out I really needed them!

Here's hoping for an uneventful week,
Love,
Julie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie- I am so glad everything is ok! I just happened to check in today- Sounds like you had a real scare. It is really wonderful that you got to see your baby bean, and everything looks great. I love the little graphic in the sidebar that shows what he/she looks like right now! I hope you are doing ok at home without Todd... please let me know if you need anything.
-Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Hey there Julie - Just checking in. I am so happy that your ultrasound looked good. Enjoy a few days of rest and know that we are thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad everything turned out ok! Sending you lots of positive thoughts and prayers!

Katie said...

Oh my gosh, I was heading over just to give you a little positive vibe for TOMORROW and my heart almost stopped beating when I saw the bleeding part. I am glad that you were able to see a heartbeat and isn't it nice that you get to go back so soon for a recheck. No waiting a week for you!!!

idieh said...

Eek! That's scary. My mom bled with me, but I can imagine that seeing that was upsetting. I'm glad to hear that things are still going well for you and your bean. I'm excited to hear about the u/s on Friday.