Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Starting down a new path...

We had our appt with our doctor today to discuss where to do next. She said we have 2 options:

1. injectable medications with an IUI
20-25% chance of getting pregnant each cycle
2-3K per cycle

2. injectable medications with IVF
65% chance of getting pregnant each cycle
14K per cycle

She said she thought I'd respond well to either. If we went w/option 1, we'd give it a try and see how I respond. If I don't respond how they need me to, they can change the dose a little. If I'm still not responding (or responding way TOO much) then we might need to go to option 2.

I think we'll end up doing option 1, and crossing our fingers (& asking everyone around us for positive energy) that it works. I just don't think we're ready to shell out 14K yet...maybe we'll get there, but not right now.

Of course my insurance doesn't cover anything IF related. Other states have mandated insurance coverage for IF treatment--and their medical bills are cheaper than those that don't cover IF. I think I'm going to write a letter to my employer and plead my case. Maybe they'll consider covering it? It's worth a try.

So once AF comes, my next cycle will officially start. I think it will be somewhere around my birthday (oct 25). Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, I get to be stabbed in the stomach, happy birthday to me. :) haha We'll start doing the injectable meds once a day, and then go in for an u/s every other day. (Yikes!) I'll have to see if work will let me change my work schedule to 11-7p because they don't do u/s past 4 in the afternoon.

I feel good from this appointment. It's not where I thought I'd be right now in my life, but like it or not, it's where we are. So I might as well keep a positive attitude--for all I know this next cycle could get me pregnant. Keep your positive thoughts and energy flowing our direction.

Here's a picture of the fertility god that I get to borrow. The top picture is one side, and the bottom is the other side. Maybe it will help!

Funny, huh? The pictures don't quite do it justice, so next time you're over at our house, ask, and I'll show it to you! :)

Talk to you soon,

Julie

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Julie!

Good luck with the IUI w/injectibles. That is the path that we are on right now. I have the same thought that you do- I'm not ready to jump into IVF right away, considering the big price tag. I will be sending positive thoughts your way!

Lisa (Resolve)

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie....

I love your Blog, this is such a good way for us all to stay informed and know where you are. I know this is difficult, but I have never known you not to keep a positive attitude about any situation. You have a huge family of support, and we are all here for you when you need any of us! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity...Have you guys looked into going outside the US for this kind of thing? May be less expensive in Canada and/or Europe (?)

IVF at this particular fertility clinic in BC is $5K:
http://www.pacificfertility.ca/?page_id=5

Barb said...

GL with the iui! Many women have success with it. I did on the first try, but it ended in a chem pregnancy. I have PCOS, thyroiditis and possibly endometriosis.

Don't forget to check online pharmacies (my doctor recommended one) for cheaper injectible meds.